Baptism is a beautiful way you immediately show you are not ashamed of Jesus.
"Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 10:32, NKJV).
Baptism demonstrates your obedience.
Who is to be Baptized?
You are to be baptized if...
- you have already trusted Jesus as your Savior
- you know that baptism is a symbol of what Jesus has done for you and is an expression of obedience to Christ.
- you are not ashamed to follow Christ's example
Why be Baptized?
Every follower should be baptized because...
Jesus commanded it. - "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them..." (Matthew 28:19, NKJV)
- Baptism Demonstrates obedience. - Jesus set the example (Mark 1:9). Jesus' followers obeyed His command to be baptized (Acts 2:41; 8:38).
- Baptism represents a picture of breaking from the past and beginning a new life with Christ. - "Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life" (Romans 6:4, NKJV)
- In the New Testament, baptism is a public testimony of faith. - "Those who gladly received his word (about Jesus) were baptized" (Acts 2:41, NKJV)
How Will I Be Baptized?
Going down into the water (Acts 8:38).
Being "buried" in the water (Romans 6:4, Colossians 2:12)
Only a submerged body can represent death and burial. Only then can it be a picture of being raised to new life.
Is Immersion Essential?
...to Salvation? No (1 Corinthians 1:17)
...to Obedience? Yes (Matthew 3:13-15)
When Should I be Baptized?
New Testament followers of Jesus were baptized immediately after trusting Christ as personal Savior. (Acts 2:41; 8:36; 16:14-15, 33)
During a Worship Service
- You may immediately show your obedience to Jesus by being baptized during the worship service of a church.
- You may be asked to give a brief statement of your testimony.
- You will have a dressing room.
- Someone will greet you ahead of time and accompany you every step through the baptismal process.
Other Questions You May Have
Do I Become A Church Member? In almost every case (depending on the church), YES!
I've Been Baptized Once Before If your recent prayer to trust Jesus was your salvation commitment, then you need to be baptized. Remember, baptism comes after sincerely and consciously trusting Jesus as Savior.
My Baptism Was Not By Immersion Many have had a similar experience. On discovering the reasons for scriptural baptism, you should be happy to be immersed, just as Jesus and many other followers in the Bible were immersed.
I Was Baptized As An Infant Usually infant baptism reflects the best loving intentions of a family; but the child is not old enough to have any decision, acceptance, or trust in the matter. In the Bible baptism always came after someone had consciously and purposfully made a personal decision to accept and trust Jesus as Savior and Lord.